Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors will rely on Robert’s Rules of Order for parliamentary issues not covered in the by-laws.
- Minutes of executive sessions of the Board of Directors will be attached to the regular board minutes only after all time-sensitive information is dealt with and the sensitive dates have passed.
- A complete record of approved motions will be kept by the Secretary. Approved motions affecting Policies and Procedures will be considered policy until they are amended or rescinded by board action.
- The Secretary will make corrections and/or additions to the board meeting minutes and send a corrected and signed copy to the board members and the executive director for their files.
- Officers of the board will develop written position descriptions; these are filed in the AQSG office and are to be reviewed and updated periodically. Officers should give a copy of these materials to their successors.
- A vote cast electronically or by telephone on a question submitted between regular Board of Directors meetings is final once the board member transmits it. After proposing a motion on the question at issue, the president will give sufficient time for discussion and call for a vote by a specific date. When a decision by a majority has been reached, the question is considered resolved, even if all members have not responded.
- The nominating committee will solicit candidates for board officer positions and present a slate at the fall board meeting. Other candidates also may be nominated (with their prior consent) or present themselves for consideration at that time.
Policies and Procedures
- All Policies and Procedures adopted at Board of Directors meetings must be printed separately and attached to the minutes of that board meeting.
- The list of Policies and Procedures will be revised annually to reflect changes made by approved motions of the Board of Directors. The board should review changes or additions at the fall board meeting in order to have an updated list ready for inclusion in the Directory.
- The Board of Directors will designate standing committees. Currently, these are: Development, Finance, Governance, Member Recruitment & Retention, Publications, Public Relations & Marketing, Seminar, and Strategic & Operational Planning.
- Chairs of all standing committees must be members of the Board of Directors. If the need arises, as determined by the Board, past members of the Board of Directors may serve temporarily as Chairs of standing committees until an active Director is appointed. Temporary appointments should not exceed one year. Past Directors serving in this capacity may attend Board meetings as non-voting members of the Board.
- Committee reports to the board must be dated and include the names of members of the committee (as applicable ).
- The Grant Committees, the Seminar Fellowship Committee, and Paper Selection Subcommittee will report results to the Board of Directors prior to any formal announcement of results to either the submitters or the media.
- Each standing committee, plus the Paper Selection subcommittee and the editorial staff, will develop Standard Operating Procedures and keep them current. These procedures will be reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors as necessary. Upon leaving that position, the chair must pass the SOPs to the successor.
- Each committee or subgroup must file a copy of the current Standard Operating Procedures in the corporate office.
- Operating procedures for standing committees and subgroups will be reviewed by the outgoing and incoming chairs. Any questions about procedures should be brought before the board at that time.
- Outgoing board members must satisfy their committee obligations and complete all reports prior to the end of their terms of service, or within two months.
- The immediate past president, and board and committee members conducting on-going work, may be reimbursed for expenses incurred while attending the board meeting immediately following the end of their terms or assignments. Reimbursement will be at the level allowed for regular board member attendance.
- The nominees for election to the Board of Directors will be presented to the membership and voted on as a slate annually.
- Ballots for the annual election must be mailed by voting members directly to AQSG’s accounting firm for tabulation. That firm will prepare a written report of the results for submission to the Board of Directors. The report of the election results will be presented at the annual meeting and published in Blanket Statements. If the election is a special election the procedure for tabulation will be the same as that for the annual election, and the results will be reported in the next issue of Blanket Statements.
- Membership renewal policies are as follows:
- The billing date for renewals will be November 1.
- Renewal deadline for all memberships will be January 1.
- The Board of Directors may designate honorary members.
- Charter members who maintain active memberships will become honorary life members at age 65.
Paper Selection and Presentation
- Authors whose papers are selected for publication must be members of AQSG. Upon selection, the author, if not already a member must join AQSG.
- No individual may act as a reader and submit a paper in the same year. It is incumbent on individuals to disqualify themselves as readers.
- An individual may act as a mentor and submit a paper in the same year. It is incumbent on mentors to disclose to their mentorees their intent to submit.
- No individual may act as a mentor and a reader in the same year.
- The Seminar keynote speaker’s paper may be published. The determination will be made jointly by the speaker and the Publications Committee.
- The underwriting paper presenter sponsorship for a designated paper will be shared between/among the presenters in the case of more than one presenter for any paper. The presenters’ allowed seminar expenses are paid and the balance is applied to publication costs.
- Contracts for editing Uncoverings, Blanket Statements and Technical Guides will be on a “work for hire” basis and negotiated at a flat fee.
- The board will set the compensation level for editorial services.
- Editors of Uncoverings and Blanket Statements may be reimbursed for expenses incurred while attending board meetings at a level set by the Board of Directors.
Promotions and Sales
- Volunteers who staff an AQSG information booth will refrain from any activity that suggests a promotion of non-AQSG activities without the prior permission of the executive director. Sales not related to AQSG materials are not permitted without the same prior permission.
- At the Seminar, AQSG members and other attendees may sell commercial products, including but not limited to books, patterns, fabrics, or quilts, only from venues arranged by the Seminar Committee.
- Vendors of quilts and books must be registered for the seminar but need not be members.
- Final choice of Study Centers rests with the Board of Directors.