I love the joyful c. 1885 cheddar orange and double pink color scheme and I knew this star design would be fun to make. I found the quilt charming with its uneven stars and the dogteeth border on only 2 sides.
This is my 2nd version – first was for a current fabric line fundraiser challenge and it was fun to make the old quilt in new funky fabrics. But I decided to try again with 1/2 size blocks (3″ rather than 6″) and reproduction fabrics. I strove for exact matches to the antique fabric and it was interesting to see what I could find — I learned a lot about browns c. 1860-1890. I chose to foundation piece my stars and was careful to replicate the angular lines of the plaids and stripes which give the quilt movement.
The maker and I share a sense of playful quilting and I feel a kinship with anyone who isn’t afraid of using a lot of cheddar orange but I’m a bit more persnickety. The maker used a variety of techniques – hand quilting and hand appliqué, all machine binding and machine appliqué. It is always enlightening to see how another quilter addressed the same challenges and what they accomplished without rotary cutters and all the other gadgets we ‘must have’.