I was drawn to the framed single block hanging in a Vermont antique shop. Although it wasn’t quilted, it was clear that it was part of a larger story. I would most likely never discover the maker’s intent, but I knew it had been made in the mid-1800s.
It inspired me to make a doll-size quilt to go with it. I used the size and shape of a mid-1800s doll quilt I own as a pattern. I reduced the size of the original block by almost a half. I then placed reduced flowers in the corners and reduced handles as design in the border.
I chose to construct the entire quilt by appliquéing, rather than piecing parts of it, as was done in the original. I added a small piece as a container for the flowers in the four corners because I thought it looked more complete and held the plants together.
Although I could not find the actual story, I did learn more details about the construction of quilts during that era. I could see that at one time other blocks were attached. I will most likely never know why there was one single incomplete block, but it ended up being an interesting study piece.