Blanket Statements Policies
Blanket Statements benefits the AQSG membership organization by being both a networking tool and a scholarly resource. It provides the primary opportunity to communicate with AQSG members nationwide and abroad. The quarterly publication is a key tangible benefit of membership in AQSG, and is also distributed to a small select list of organizations.
Objectives for Blanket Statements
- Further the AQSG mission.
- Provide a resource to researchers by publishing substantive, original, scholarly articles relating to quilt research
- Support AQSG members by publicizing their activities and interests, and serving as a forum for sharing information and resources among them
- Keep AQSG members abreast of news in the quilt world
- Actively engage a broad membership base in furthering AQSG's goals, programs, and accomplishments and acknowledge members' contributions and support
- Be a promotional and outreach tool for AQSG in creating a tangible AQSG presence, leadership role, and identity in the quilt world and women's studies field
- Priority is given to material written by AQSG members.
- Cover story is quilt research.*
- Quilt world news includes coverage of historically significant shows, organizations, conferences, quiltmakers, researchers, publications.
- News of the Members: 2-3 sentences covering shows, book releases, research updates; no advertising of members' commercial enterprises; significant achievements may warrant a separate article or interview.
- Feature articles may include "Research Notes" (i.e., advice or reports on methodology, research challenges, or resources); regional events of national import; individual profiles of key quilt study people; examination of trends; focus pieces on related movements or events (art quilts; costume; women's history; etc.); AQSG organizational coverage ("Focus on AQSG").
- Contributions and Donations are listed under Unrestricted, Memorial, and restricted (Scholarship, Publications,etc.).
- No book reviews at this time;* however, some articles on members' publications are possible (e.g., Roland Freeman in Spring, 1997 issue).
- Controversial Issues: AQSG will not serve as an advocate for a particular position on controversial quilt-related issues, but will present both sides of a debate.*
- No paid advertising.
- AQSG does not have the resources to pay for permissions to reprint photos, but requests for complimentary permissions have almost always been granted.
- Copyright: at this time Blanket Statements does not have an ISSN number and is not copyrighted, but we print the following reprint policy: "Authored articles may be excerpted only. Proper citation must be given to the author and American Quilt Study Group. Articles may not be reprinted in their entirety. General news items may be reprinted in their entirety without written permission from or citation of American Quilt Study Group."*
*=motion passed by the AQSG Board of Directors; all other policies determined by Editor and staff